“The kitchen is a country in which there are always discoveries to be made.”Grimod de la Reynière
As an interior designer, it’s crucial to discover innovative methods to enrich the visual allure of all spaces, including rental spaces. A frequently disregarded aspect of rental kitchens and bathrooms is the backsplash. Nevertheless, with appropriate concepts, you can convert this region into a chic centerpiece while guaranteeing that it’s not permanent such as porcelain tile. This blog will investigate a variety of novel backsplash concepts that are transient, uncomplicated to establish, and won’t harm the current walls. Let’s explore some inspiring alternatives that will enable you to enhance the appearance with renter friendly backsplash ideas below.
What is A Rental Friendly Backsplash?
A rental-friendly backsplash refers to a backsplash option or design that is suitable for a rental property. These options allow you to enhance the visual appeal of your kitchen or bathroom without leaving behind permanent changes when it’s time to move out. The following lists what to look out for when selecting a renter friendly backsplash:
- Temporary Installation: A rental-friendly backsplash should be easy to install and remove without causing damage to the existing walls or surfaces. It should not require permanent alterations or major construction work.
- Non-Destructive: It should not require drilling, nailing, or other methods that could leave noticeable marks or holes. The goal is to find options that can be easily reversed when you move out, allowing you to restore the space to its original condition.
- Lightweight: Since you’re working with a rental space, it’s best to choose materials that are lightweight and won’t put excessive strain on the walls. This is particularly important if you’re dealing with a temporary adhesive-based installation.
- Minimal Surface Preparation: Ideally, a rental-friendly backsplash should not require extensive surface preparation, such as sanding or priming. It should be able to adhere to the existing wall surface or be applied directly without much hassle.
- Landlord Approval: As always, it’s important to consult with your landlord or property management before making any changes to ensure that the backsplash option you choose aligns with the rental agreement and is permitted within the property guidelines.
One of the simplest and most versatile options for a renter-friendly backsplash is removable wallpaper. With a vast array of designs, patterns, and colors available, you can find the perfect wallpaper to suit any style or preference. Measure the area accurately and cut the wallpaper to fit the backsplash space. The self-adhesive nature of removable wallpaper makes installation a breeze, and when it’s time to move out, you can easily peel it off without leaving any residue or damaging the wall. Whether you opt for a subtle, textured design or a bold, vibrant pattern, removable wallpaper is an excellent choice for adding personality to your kitchen or bathroom. A few great vendors to choose from:
- Tempaper (www.tempaper.com): Tempaper is a well-known brand specializing in self-adhesive, removable wallpaper. They offer an extensive collection of stylish and contemporary designs, including geometric patterns, botanical prints, textured finishes, and more. Their wallpapers are made in the USA and are environmentally friendly.
- WallsNeedLove (www.wallsneedlove.com): WallsNeedLove is a company that provides a variety of removable wallpaper designs suitable for renters. They offer a diverse selection of patterns, colors, and styles, ranging from bold and vibrant to subtle and minimalist. Their wallpapers are easy to install and can be removed without damaging the walls.
- Spoonflower (www.spoonflower.com): Spoonflower is known for its wide range of customizable and removable wallpaper options. They have a vast library of designs created by independent artists, allowing you to find unique and personalized options. Their wallpapers are printed on eco-friendly materials and are easy to apply and remove.
Vinyl decals offer a fantastic opportunity to add visual interest to your backsplash while being completely renter-friendly and fun to do! Available in an array of sizes, shapes, and styles, vinyl decals can transform a plain wall into a work of art. They are easy to apply and remove, making them ideal for rental spaces. Choose from nature-inspired motifs, geometric patterns, or intricate designs to suit your personal taste. Vinyl decals work particularly well on existing glass or tile. They allow you to experiment with different looks without the commitment of a permanent installation. A few great vendors to choose from:
- Etsy (www.etsy.com): Etsy is a well-known online marketplace that features a wide range of vinyl wall decal sellers. You can find numerous independent artists and sellers offering unique and customizable designs to suit your preferences.
- WallPops (www.wallpops.com): WallPops specializes in removable wall decals, including vinyl options. They offer a variety of designs, from classic to contemporary, and their products are designed to be easy to apply, remove, and reposition.
- RoomMates (www.roommatesdecor.com): RoomMates is another reputable company that offers a range of vinyl wall decals. They have an extensive collection of designs, including licensed characters, nature-inspired motifs, and more. Their decals are designed to be repositionable and removable without damaging the walls.
Peel and Stick Tile
Yes- the ones that go on the floor can be used on walls! Peel-and-stick tiles are a popular choice for renter-friendly backsplashes due to their simplicity and versatility. These lightweight and adhesive-backed tiles come in a wide range of materials, including faux subway tiles, metal, or mosaic. They can instantly transform a dull kitchen or bathroom into a stylish, elegant space. The peel-and-stick application makes installation hassle-free, and they can be easily removed without causing damage to the wall when it’s time to move out. These tiles are an excellent option for renters who want the look of a traditional tile backsplash without the permanence.
Magnetic backsplashes offer a unique and flexible solution for renters. Metal magnetic panels or sheets can be cut to size and easily attached to the wall using magnets. This type of backsplash allows you to showcase your creativity by arranging and rearranging magnetic accessories, such as spice containers, utensils, or decorative elements. Not only does a magnetic backsplash add visual interest, but it also provides functionality by offering additional storage options. When it’s time to leave, you can effortlessly remove the magnets and panels without causing any damage to the wall.
High Performance Paint
High-performance paint refers to a category of paint that offers enhanced features and capabilities compared to traditional paints. These paints are specially formulated to provide superior performance in various aspects, such as durability, coverage, washability, color retention, and resistance to stains, mold, mildew, and other common issues. They are designed to withstand harsh conditions, heavy traffic, and frequent cleaning without compromising their appearance or functionality. This is obviously the most cost effective of all the renter friendly backsplash ideas! Win win! Here are a few great vendors and renter friendly backsplash, high performance paints to choose from:
- Benjamin Moore (www.benjaminmoore.com)
- Benjamin Moore Aura®
- Benjamin Moore Regal® Select
- Sherwin-Williams (www.sherwin-williams.com)
- Sherwin-Williams Emerald®
- Sherwin-Williams Duration®
- Behr (www.behr.com)
- Behr Premium Plus Ultra®
- Behr Marquee®
- PPG (www.ppgpaints.com)
- PPG Timeless®
- PPG Diamond®
- Valspar (www.valspar.com)
- Valspar Signature®
- Valspar Ultra®
- Farrow & Ball (www.farrow-ball.com)
- Farrow & Ball Estate Emulsion
- Farrow & Ball Modern Emulsion
Creating a stylish and personalized backsplash in a rental space doesn’t have to be a daunting task. By considering renter-friendly backsplash options such as removable wallpaper, vinyl decals, peel-and-stick tiles, magnetic backsplashes, or high performance paint, you can elevate the design of your kitchen or bathroom without causing any damage or violating rental agreements. These ideas offer flexibility, versatility, and ease of installation, allowing you to express your personal style and make your rental space feel like home. Embrace the opportunity to transform your backsplash, and enjoy the visual impact it brings to your temporary abode.
If you need any more ideas for designing your space that heals, perhaps a bathroom or how to hang the curtains in it? Feel free to peruse previous blog posts or sign up for my newsletter so you receive these informative articles automatically!